I love coconut its one of my favourite ingredients and this is hands down the best coconut cake recipe I have ever come across. It is easy and quick to make and turns out perfectly every time. This is the cake I get the most requests for.
I found the recipe on Lovefoodies.com but here it is anyway:
- 3/4 cup or 175 g softened butter
- 3/4 cup or 175 ml coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups or 290 g regular sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 – 6 Tablespoons desiccated / shredded coconut, I always use fresh coconut it makes all the difference
- 1 3/4 cups or 225 g Plain / All purpose flour (sieved)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grease and line either two small loaf tins, one large one or a bundt tin. Preheat the oven to 160 C.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Next cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs a little at a time, if the mixture curdles add a spoonful of flour.
- Once combined add half the flour and half the coconut milk. Mix on a medium speed.
- Add the fresh coconut, the remaining flour and coconut milk and mix until well combined. The mixture will be a thick consistency and easy to spoon not the tin.
- Place the tins in the oven for an hour and 15 mins – loads of time to clean up the kitchen!
- Once the cakes have risen and is starting to come away from the sides of the tin slightly it is done, make sure to test it with a skewer all the same, when inserted directly in to the middle of the cake it should come out clean, if not give it a bit more time.
- When the cake is done take it out the oven and while its sill in the tin poke holes all the way through it with a skewer then drizzle coconut milk all over the cake. The recipe says 4 tablespoons but I normally put more. Finally sprinkle the top with shredded coconut and your done!